Hello dev@streams.a.o,

This list has been very quiet for a very long time.  I’m hoping to change that,
and generate some momentum toward a worth-while initiative right in-line with
Streams founding goals.

The project founding proposal [1] includes the following goals:

• Publication of Activities from multiple systems via HTTP
• Aggregation and syndication of streams
• Support for security trimming of streams by social graph
• Noise reduction and intelligent filtering
• Federation of streams across disparate systems
• Provide libraries for easy integration in source systems

The code we actually built focused most heavily on goals #2 and #5, and evolved
into a (useful IMO, at least around the time of our TLP graduation) java SDK
for building complex social media application back-end ’streams’.  But, we
never shipped software with clear stand-alone utility for anyone other than
java developers.  The internet, and the social media landscape specifically,
has changed a lot since then, and I would argue that the system envisioned in
the proposal is needed now more than ever.  I won’t go right now into all the
reasons I believe that is the case, because it would be TL;DR and off-topic,
but will just say that there appears to be an unprecedented (at least in this
century) interest in hosting social-media-like software that can inter-operate
across installations.

So I’m here asking whether anyone is open to a discussion about re-aligning
this project to the totality of it’s origin, with a new North Star:

• a containerized deployable software stack that provides an Activity Streams
2.0 / Activity Pub interface via rest API
• Confirmed interoperable with the Mastodon front-end, and other ActivityPub
client software
• Built to scale with minimal system admin burden to the needs of the largest
existing Mastodon instances: ballpark ~1M total users, 10K concurrent
• Able to scale far beyond that for an experienced team: a medium-sized Web 2.0
social network: ~100M total users, up to ~1M concurrent

I don’t think it’s hyper-bole to observe that the future of social media is in
flux, and in early stages of a 10+ year trend toward decentralization.  I for
want really want that decentralized future to be based on Activity Streams 2.0
and ActivityPub, now official W3C standards, and thus inter-operable when
desired, rather than completely silo’ed like the prior generation.  Also I
think the above is entirely plausible on a 1-2 year time-scale.

Does anyone else agree?  Is anyone willing to support a pivot like this, and
try to re-build this product and community with me?

• [1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/incubator/StreamsProposal

Steve Blackmon
Apache Streams PMC Chair