Closing the loop on vulnerable dependencies, I wound up (for now)
deactivating streams-persist-hdfs and streams-persist-elasticsearch, and
all of the sub-modules of streams-examples.  Suneel I think you are right
opensearch is a more appropriate dependency if there is a reason to bring
streams-persist-elasticsearch back into the reactor.

Build and unit tests were working for me in JDK8, JDK11, and JDK17.  Our
github actions CI needs some love and i suspect our jenkins jobs got lost
during an infra upgrade so we'll need to bring that back online.  Those
details aside, I think the project is release-able again.

I have not yet typed up anything more than the first message in this
thread.  I'm planning to spend time over the holiday digging into the
current revisions of the Activity Streams 2.0 ontology and ActivityPub
spec, and how much of them are currently supported by the standard mastodon
back-end.  If anyone else wants to help out in this early stage, maybe do
the same and we can all compare notes on what the interfaces and deployment
plan of a non-throwaway-proof-of-concept/MVP might look like?

Just riffing, I suspect we will want to continue trimming down modules and
dependencies if they don't have a clear purpose under the new objective of
a scalable activitypub backend plus useful plugins (such as the persistence
modules, data providers, and data augmentation modules in
streams-contrib).  I think we could approach a form where our core
dependencies are apache projects only - commons, httpcomponents, juneau,
lucene/solr, maybe pekko?  There will need to be at least one default data
repository capable of storing anything in the spec and supporting the
queries required by any endpoint.  Jena seems like a good candidate for
this, at least for small-ish deployments, but there might be another better
solution I've not thought of yet.

P.S. It's nice to hear from everyone, I hope you are all doing well.