On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 08:11:06 +0100, Niall Pemberton wrote:
> The disappointing thing from my point of view was that I put a
> checklist for testing various JDK/Tomcat flavours in the Struts
> 1.2.2 release plan - but it was removed. If they had been left in
> the plan then the JDK issues would have been caught.

Perhaps, but we resolved several other infrastructure issues on the way to 1.2.2, so
progress is being made.

We often have issues like this with releases, even when the RM spends wads of time
testing.

I very-much like the checklist-style release plan. It's a definitely an improvement.
But, realistically, the problem isn't checklists, it's getting the releases out to the
community where "all bugs are shallow to enough eyeballs". We may release every night,
but too few people try those in their production environment.

I'd be happy to roll monthly maintenance releases for the team (post 1.2.3). But I
don't like the prevalent idea that releases are the dominion of a chosen-few.

I'd like to challenge each active PMC member to step-up one month between now and next
September, as James did, and roll a release. Whether it goes GA or not isn't
important. What's important is that you tap the keg :)