On 29 Nov 2022, Johan Corveleyn wrote:
My thanks also to the courageous people having developed this, and the
gentle souls keeping the ball rolling :-).

About the name:

[...]

FWIW, my vote still goes to --store-pristines={yes|no}

Same here, FWIW.

I understand the argument that this exposes an "implementation detail" that the user is supposed to not need to think about. But remember, the reason we developed this feature is because the user was *already* exposed to the existence of pristines: disk space usage by pristines is quite visible to the user -- that's the whole problem :-).

So only users who already "see" pristines -- that is, who are already aware of the storage issue -- would go looking for this feature in the first place. So by the time they learn about the '--store-pristines' option, they're already being forced to deal with pristines as a concept, and the only question is whether the tool we give them to solve their problem will take advantage of that conceptual familiarity.

So, +1 to "--store-pristines=foo".

I prefer such an explicit option here, rather than vague ones that could cover many different things. Also, --optimize=X can easily be
interpreted inversely as intended (for instance: when I have an
optimal network, do I use --optimize=network?)

Apart from {yes|no} the feature might grow other option values in the future ('size-based' or 'text-only', or maybe simply 'auto' if we come up with a good general strategy that works for 99% of the cases, the details of which we don't want to burden our users with). We could
even, in some distant future, allow user-defined names that are
specified in ~/.subversion/config by the user (using some syntax where the user can set configurable size limits or mime-types or whatever).

I also agree with Johan's point here.

One other suggestion: not a blocker of course, but a
runtime-config-area default would be nice :-). Users might want to choose the same option all the time, without having to remember to add
the option to their checkout command.

Something like, in ~/.suversion/config

store-pristines-default={yes|no}

Later on, this might grow into more sophisticated local run-time config regarding pristines, but for now, providing this basic yes/no default is a good idea. For example, on machines where one is regularly checking out trees with huge files, one might set the default to "no".

Best regards,
-Karl