Great!

There was a complaint that the CHANGES file has no 0.11.0 data in it from
the user/dev mailing lists.
I will open a Jira ticket for that.  Let's also make sure it's in the "how
to release" directions.

I assume that going forward we are going to continue to require Jira
tickets because that is how
we generate the CHANGES content.  True?  Even for simple changes?  I would
like to make it
earier for the project to accept documentation, website, and build script
changes without needing
the heavy weight of a ticket.

Also see https://github.com/apache/thrift/pull/1531 for example.  It is a
very simple bugfix.  Now on
one hand if we don't have a Jira ticket someone cannot search to find the
"known" issue if they need to.
On the other hand, our Jira open backlog is tremendously large and folks
might have trouble finding
the issue anyway.

So I would like to ask for a discussion about:

1. No longer requiring the "Client" tag for a check-in.
2. No longer needing a Jira thrift ticket for comment-only, doc, website,
or simple build script changes.
3. Now that we can click "rebase and merge" directly on github, but we
don't have the ability to change
the commit message, do we simply reject any PR that requires a Jira ticket
but doesn't have the Jira
ticket ID in the commit message?
4. Do we still want the weight of a Jira ticket for simplistic code
changes?  See this one for an example
of a simple change.  Does it need the full weight of a Jira ticket?
https://github.com/apache/thrift/pull/1531/
I suppose if we don't have a Jira ticket we cannot generate CHANGES that
identify it.  Is the CHANGES
file that useful in its current form?

To these ends I can commit a markdown file that github will display on
every pull request indicating some
guidelines people should follow.  I will start on one now that follows our
current rules of requiring a jira ticket
for everything.

Goal is to get to the point where we can literally have people get their
PRs right the first time, and get
the CI build to pass, and then click "Rebase and Merge".  (We only want to
use rebase and merge to
avoid merge commits).  We want it to be easy to submit changes, easy to
commit the changes, with
sufficient information to generate release notes.

Finally, can we move the thrift website into github and out of Apache CMS
somehow?
This would make it vastly easier to update the website.

- Jim