The boost project handles release notes (major changes, breaking changes,
and issue fixed) by requiring each repository maintainer to modify a shared
documentation file (using github).  It isn't perfect but it allows for the
important bugfixes and breaking changes to be identified.  In general
people are pretty good at spotting breaking changes here and requiring pull
requests to update the language-specific README.md file with breaking
changes.  If you look at the lib/perl/README.md file for example I made
breaking changes in 0.10.0 and 0.11.0 however I also provided simple
workaround that allow someone to write thrift code that works with older or
newer thrift libraries (for projects in transition, this is typically
useful).  It was my assumption that the language-specific readme files were
sufficient to communicate breaking changes.

On the issue of golang, the golang project only supports one major release
back, so right now 1.10 is current and 1.9 is supported, but 1.8 is no
longer supported.  We should follow suit, and that means we don't need the
1.6 to 1.7 context conversion stuff.  If folks still need 1.6 or 1.7
support they can run an already-released version of thrift, and begin
making plans to modernize their go and their thrift in a future release.

It looks like the go build issue has been resolved.

Thanks,

Jim