On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 9:35 AM Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibu...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Once done it can be hosted on both side.Owb has the advantage to be know
> by users, tomcat to be a more natural home for an integration. At the end
> it is mainly synchronizing both projects for a consistent communication and
> code "move" IMHO.
>
> For deep tomcat/cxf integration, you can use
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openwebbeans/meecrowave/trunk/ - core
> module. Technically it uses an embedded flavor but it would be easy to move
> to a standalone one through a listener based on a small refactoring in
> Meecrowave#start. The good part are the lifecycle and scanning integrations
> + the tooling to make testing and dev simple -
> http://openwebbeans.apache.org/meecrowave/.

Ok, I think things look reasonably good using CDI extensions (looking at
the Geronimo mp implementation you did) except the default CXF "servlet"
integration. I think right now the "servlet" integration from the
cxf-rt-transports-http package is "bad" and that the one from Meecrowave
(in org.apache.meecrowave.cxf) is more likely to be the way to go (it
derives from cxf-integration-cdi).

So this looks a lot closer to Meecrowave than I originally expected, with a
lot of "buts" though:
- Meecrowave feels a lot like "Tomcat for Meecrowave" while the goal here
is a "Meecrowave for Tomcat"
- The JAR has all of Tomcat, log4j, API JARs, etc, while it should here be
based off Tomcat, the javax APIs and OWB already present in the Tomcat OWB
implementation JAR (the classic "tomcat7" or the modernized "tomcat-owb")
- log4j would need to be removed as well
- plenty of configuration files and options in the JARs, but I guess that's
the way it is since all the subcomponents are so flexible

>>> More technically: openwebbeans does not need properties files you can
>>> pass Properties when you create the WebBeansContext, this is what tomee
>>> does. Same for cxf and its bus ;).
>>>

>> Ok, I'll have a look at that, it's better than properties files (but
>> similar).
>>

>>> Biggest short term challenge is to align scanners but it is very doable,
>>> long term it is to drop big core jars in all 3 libs for smaller bundles ;).
>>>

>> Ok.
>>

>>> Feel free to shout if you need help or more precise pointers.

Rémy