Others have mostly captured the pros and cons, so mine is brief...

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 4:58 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> I've been using Git more and more for Tomcat development and was
> wondering what folks thought about moving Tomcat to git. This isn't a
> formal proposal or a vote, I'm just trying to gather some views.

+1 to Git.

My main pro from it is speed. Everything feels speedier: commits,
diffs, pushes, pulls, etc.

I don't think the potential for messing up is bigger. At least, not
bigger than learning any new tools (for those of us who would have to
learn git). I switched to primarily-git SCM about 2 years ago and
haven't had any more mishaps than I would have with svn merging, I
don't think.

Also +1 to separating the git vs svn discussion from the build system
discussion (Maven, Ant, whatever.) (Side note: been using gradle
recently, fun.)

Yoav