On 21.01.2014 10:58, Mark Thomas wrote:
> I've been using Git more and more for Tomcat development and was
> wondering what folks thought about moving Tomcat to git. This isn't a
> formal proposal or a vote, I'm just trying to gather some views.
>
> On the plus side:
> - it is much easier to have multiple issues in progress at the
>   same time and switch between them
> - being able to work off-line but still commit is a huge benefit
>   when working on a complex issue and you don't have internet
>   access
> - merging between branches (assuming all supported branches were in a
>   single repo) is simpler
>
> Neutral
> - we would need to agree some simple guidelines for how we used git
> - tooling seems equivalent to that available for svn (at for what I
>   use anyway)
>
> On the down side:
> - there is much more potential to mess things up
> - cleaning up is potentially more complex
> - the disruption of the move - particularly if we want to move to a
>   single git repo - could be significant
>

> Thoughts?

I am slightly positive for a move but there's one thing I was negatively
surprised a couple of times: commit emails. Our current commit emails
are very easy to read and contain all the needed information. I guess
some of that will be adjustable for the git commit mails, but the ones I
looked at today (using wicket as an example), had something like the
first line of the commit log as the mail subject. That could be better
or worse than what we have in svn currently, depending on the log message.

I remember having seen many "merge" type commit messages somewhere,
where the subject basically carries no information on what was changed,
because it always says "Merge". Sometimes such mails do not contain a
diff in the body but only the information, which ids have been merged
between which branches. These are the ones I find really unhelpful. I
haven't dug deeper into it though.

The PHP project has a weekly or so message automated about pull requests
waiting to be handled. Something like that might be needed because if we
move to git the community will expect us to watch for contributions
coming via GitHub.

My 2ct.

Rainer