@Robert

I didn’t notice the health poll is for the cache, thanks for pointing this out.
If so, it should work.

On 4/4/18, 10:23 PM, "Robert Butts" <robert.o.bu...@gmail.com> wrote:

    @nbaoping

    > So I suggest the change to the current TM to be like:
    > 1) Separate the current polling of cache servers into two different
    pollings, one for the keep alive, the other for the stat query.

    The Golang Monitor already does this. We call it the "health" and "stat"
    polls in the code. The stat poll is the full stats, and the health poll is
    just the system stats. Does that work for your keep-alive poll? The health
    poll is slightly more than just establishing a TCP connection, but it's
    very small, and it also gives us the interface data.

    > We need record the availability for each configured IP so that if it’s
    assigned, the router can check if it can redirect the client request to
    that assigned IP or not.
    > if we have multiple interfaces support, we should check the bandwidth
    availability for each interface

    Because the health poll has interface data, I'd suggest modifying Traffic
    Monitor to poll a single arbitrary IP for the Stat poll, as you suggest;
    and to poll all IPs on the Health poll. Then, because the system stats are
    in the health poll, the Monitor can figure out which interface that IP is
    on, and track the availability of that interface from that health poll data.

    If you aren't familiar with the Health vs Stat polls in the new Golang
    Monitor, see:
    https://traffic-control-cdn.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
    development/traffic_monitor_golang.html#architecture
    https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/blob/
    master/traffic_monitor/manager/manager.go
    https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/blob/
    master/traffic_monitor/manager/health.go
    https://github.com/apache/incubator-trafficcontrol/blob/
    master/traffic_monitor/manager/stat.go

    Does that work?

    On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 5:07 AM, Eric Friedrich (efriedri) <
    efrie...@cisco.com> wrote:

> [...]
    > priority does not come into play here as there is no failover between IPs
    >
    > —Eric
    >

    > > On Apr 4, 2018, at 1:23 AM, Nir Sopher <n...@qwilt.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > +1
    > > Note that beyond the DB, the change should also be reflected into the
    > > cr-config.
    > > As I see it, a flexible model may be built of the below items:
    > > 1 - Edge server.
    > > 2- Interface
    > > 3. IPs
    > >
    > > The Interface (or should it be called "delivery unit") is the element we
    > > redirect the traffic to and which is monitored by the traffic-monitor:
    > > * Each server may have multiple interfaces
    > > * Each interface may have multiple IPs
    > > * Interfaces has priorities (abstraction for primary/secondary)
    > > * Each interface is given a seperate DNS name by the router. Single name
    > > for the multiple IPs.
    > > * Each interface is monitored and reported seperately by the traffic
    > > monitor, including health an stats.
    > >

    > > The router "redirect target decision" may look as follows
    > > 0. Select cache as we do today taking into account the consistent hash.
    > > server is in the selection group only if one of its interfaces is found
    > > be healthy
    > > 1. Once we have server selected, select an interface out of all
    > interfaces
    > > of the server with max available priority.
    > >
    > > An additional improvement, may assign DS to interfaces instead of
    > servers.
    > > A server serves DS X iff one of its interfaces is assigned to the DS.
    > >
    > > Nir
    > >

    > > On Apr 4, 2018 6:56 AM, "Zhilin Huang (zhilhuan)" <zhilh...@cisco.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > Updated the DB schema in section 3.1.1.4
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Zhilin
    > >

    > > On 04/04/2018, 11:02 AM, "Zhilin Huang (zhilhuan)" <zhilh...@cisco.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >    Good points. I am happy to make this change in the design doc.
    > >
    > >    Thanks,
    > >    Zhilin
    > >

    > >    On 03/04/2018, 8:17 PM, "Eric Friedrich (efriedri)" <
    > efrie...@cisco.com>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >        I would prefer a consistent way to store all interface and IP
    > > address information. Its good database design practice to store similar
    > > information in similar tables (i.e. all IP info in 1 table) rather than
    > > keep some IPs in the server table and some IPs in another table.
    > >
    > >        I also think this refactoring will give us greater flexibility
for
    > > more changes in the future. Outside of this particular use case, we
might
    > > have additional features like sharing edges between public/private
    > networks
    > > or having multiple (equal priority) streaming interfaces on a cache.
    > >
    > >        These future features would be easier if the interface data and
IP