Hey Nir,

Thanks a lot for your comments. Please see my replies inline.

On 10/04/2018, 3:14 AM, "Nir Sopher" <n...@qwilt.com> wrote:

     Hey Zhilin,

    Regarding the ports configuration. Even though I believe modeling will be
    cleaner if the port and IP are set together, you are probably correct - it
    is reasonable to consider the Port per IP flexibility as a future extension
    and avoid it for now.
    Still, I would suggest to at-least module the cr-config with the Port
    specified per IP (delivery-unit). It is more flexible as well as simplify
    the router and monitor code.
ZH> I understand your consideration about the flexibility. But I still think
port is a server lever configuration, do not see the needs of multiple ports in
the near future. Anyway, if we want to add port configured together with IP, it
is easy to add a new field into the json of RESTful API or cr-config, since
adding new field is easy to be backward compatible. So I would like to leave
this change to future when there is use case required.

    Regarding the crud of the server configuration, I believe the API should
    change, but with backward compatibility.
    Maybe we should have
    (GET/POST/PUT/DELETE)  /api/1.2/servers/{:svrId}/interfaces
    And
    (GET/POST/PUT/DELETE)  /api/1.2/servers/{:svrId}/
    interfaces/{:ifId}/delivery-units
ZH> I went thru those APIs again, and agree with your points. The design doc
has been updated to reflect this change in section 3.1.1.3 and 3.1.1.4. A
little different than your suggestion is I used "ips" instead of
"delivery-units" to allow manipulation of management IP and ILO IP as well.

    These APIs will allow us to manipulate all interfaces and all IPs
    (delivery-units). Note that as I see it, there is no special "primary" IP
    (but IPs has priorities).
ZH> I think there must be a so called "default" streaming IP bind with a server
until server deleted. A server with no streaming is useless. That's how I
understand the "primary" IP, which is immutable with a server. A "secondary"
streaming IP could be add and removed afterwards.
For the streaming IP priority, I think it is out of the scope of this feature,
we could add that in some future features. The concept streaming "priority"
itself could be co-existing with the "primary/secondary" concept, in different
dimension. The priority is a streaming load balance concept. And any streaming
IP, no matter primary or secondary, could assign a higher priority than others.

    The old /api/1.2/servers/{:svrId} API can be backward compatible. We need
    to think it through but just an example:
ZH> Agree, I would like the old APIs will not see the "secondary" IPs and
interfaces. No behavior change.

       - Server "GET" will return the IP of the server's delivery unit with the
       lowest ID
       - Server "PUT" will allow empty IP, but if IP is set, it verify there is
       exactly 1 IP record for the server, and work against it. O.w. fails.

    Another option can be to have a global param that enables multiple IPs per
    server.  When enabled, API changes - IP is removed from the server API.

    Nir

    On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 9:18 AM, Zhilin Huang (zhilhuan) <zhilh...@cisco.com>
    wrote:

    > Hi Jifeng,
    >
    > I do not think we need to change the APIs. Current CRUD /api/1.2/servers
    > will configure the primary IP and interface.
    >
    > I do not think we want to change this due to:
    > 1) backward compatibility
    > 2) there should always be a default (primary) IP and interface configured
    > when creating a server. It is not reasonable a server created with no
    > IP/Interface configured. So current CRUD /api/1.2/servers APIs are good
    > enough.
    > 3) only people want multiple IPs and interfaces need to call new APIs or
    > new API formats.
    >
    > So I think we can change the data/DB inside, but keep the APIs not
    > affected at least.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Zhilin
    >

    > On 05/04/2018, 9:06 AM, "Jifeng Yang (jifyang)" <jify...@cisco.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >     Due to this change, the Traffic Ops APIs may also need change:
    >
    >     (GET/POST/PUT/DELETE)  /api/1.2/servers/{:svrId}/2ndintfs
    >         Need change
    >         Suggestion: /api/1.2/servers/{:svrId}/interfaces
    >
    >     (GET/POST/PUT/DELETE)  /api/1.2/servers/{:svrId}/2ndips
    >         Don't need change.
    >
    >     Thanks,
    >     Jifeng
    >
    >     On 04/04/2018, 11:56, "Zhilin Huang (zhilhuan)" <zhilh...@cisco.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >         Updated the DB schema in section 3.1.1.4
    >
    >         Thanks,
    >         Zhilin
    >

    >         On 04/04/2018, 11:02 AM, "Zhilin Huang (zhilhuan)" <
    > zhilh...@cisco.com> wrote:
    >
    >             Good points. I am happy to make this change in the design doc.
    >
    >             Thanks,
    >             Zhilin
    >

    >             On 03/04/2018, 8:17 PM, "Eric Friedrich (efriedri)" <
    > efrie...@cisco.com> wrote:
    >
    >                 I would prefer a consistent way to store all interface and
    > IP address information. Its good database design practice to store similar
    > information in similar tables (i.e. all IP info in 1 table) rather than
    > keep some IPs in the server table and some IPs in another table.
    >
    >                 I also think this refactoring will give us greater
    > flexibility for more changes in the future. Outside of this particular use
    > case, we might have additional features like sharing edges between
    > public/private networks or having multiple (equal priority) streaming
    > interfaces on a cache.
    >
    >                 These future features would be easier if the interface
    > data and IP data is all organized into separate tables.
    >
    >                 I’d also like to see the delivery service to IP mapping be
    > a many to many mapping in the DB. For this particular feature we will only
    > assign a single IP (and we can restrict that in the API if we want), but I
    > am near certain that in the future we would like the ability to assign a
DS