It's not an answer to your question, but I've create a sort of "proof-of-concept" for Wicket 9 (branch wicket9 of Apache repo). I've successfully built a 9.0.0-SNAPSHOT version axing module wicket-cdi-1.1 which had the same cast exception reported here for Spring: https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-boot/issues/7565. I've also removed testing/wicket-arquillian as it depends on jconsole.jar which seems to be not part anymore of the jdk (but i might be wrong).

PS: In any case, I don't even know if cdi-1.1 ca be used with Java > 8

Andrea.