I've also tried to build master branch with Java 9 and I've found the following issues:

wicket-util: it seems that java 9 has changed date formats to be closer to the Unicode standard: https://www.infoq.com/news/2017/02/java9-cldr-ldml. This breaks some unit tests wicket-extentions: importĀ  javax.annotation.Resource is not used and not available in the new jdk wicket-cdi-1.1: there are some cast exceptions during tests execution. At the moment I can't be more specific.

I've created a branch for Wicket with java 9 here: https://github.com/bitstorm/wicket/tree/wicket9. I've solved the issues for wicket-util and wicket-extentions