I think we should stay stick with LTS releases (one main release per year) and provide support only for that specific LTS. I think this is what most of the market will do in the future. As we are seeing with Java 9, it's nearly impossible to adapt Wicket to the "next" Java without cutting deprecated technologies or without adapting to the new behavior of Java standard libraries (like date time).