On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 12:39 PM, Lakmal Warusawithana <lak...@wso2.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 12:22 PM, Imesh Gunaratne <im...@wso2.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Chamila,
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 7:19 AM, Chamila De Alwis <chami...@wso2.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Isuru, Imesh,
>>>
>>> IMO we shouldn't have any platform specific restructuring in
>>> wso2/puppet-modules. This should be done at the end user's setup. Another
>>> point is that we have now decoupled wso2/puppet-modules from
>>> wso2/dockerfiles and users are not required to incorporate puppet-modules
>>> in their container setup.
>>>

>> A very good concern! The way I see this is little different. Let's
>> evaluate the options we have:
>>
>>    1. Ship generic product/profile Hiera YAML files and let the users
>>    configure them according to their platform (VM, AWS, Azure, OpenStack,
>> K8S,
>>    Mesos, OpenShift, CF, etc)
>>    2. Ship product/profile/platform Hiera YAML files and let users use
>>    them OOB with very few changes.
>>
>> +1 for 2nd option. Yes, it has some duplication on configurations, but
> customer POV, it is very easy to look at single place to do the minimum
> changes. (rather looking for many files in deferent folders to do the
> changes)
>

>> Which one would be the best option? IMO 2nd option would provide a much
>> better user experience compared to 1 as it provides platform specific
>> values such as clustering configuration & port mappings OOB. User will only
>> need to provide values such as database hosts, passwords, identity
>> management, etc which are user specific.
>>
>> The whole idea of this effort is to provide a better user experience.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>>> IMO Docker images will not be able to run OOB on Kubernetes using
>>> wso2/puppet-modules and wso2/kubernetes-artifacts. There will anyway be
>>> changes related to the Kubernetes Membership Scheme in wso2/puppet-modules
>>> and in wso2/kubernetes-artifacts where environment dependent changes such
>>> as image names, SecureVault passwords, etc. need to be adjusted.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Chamila de Alwis
>>> Committer and PMC Member - Apache Stratos
>>> Software Engineer | WSO2 | +94772207163
>>> Blog: code.chamiladealwis.com

Mainly the target users group of the puppet/hiera files will be system
administrators/Dev Ops. So those guys will be consider the fact the
maintainability of puppet/hiera files. So if this is a maintainability
issue, it will become bad experience for the end user in end of the day.

I think we can make this with with Defined Types[1][2] without creating
duplicate set of YAML files for each platform. We can do the same as the
example given in the document.

[1]https://docs.puppet.com/puppet/latest/reference/lang_defined_types.html
[2]http://puppetlunch.com/puppet/hiera.html

>> *Imesh Gunaratne*
>> Senior Technical Lead
>> WSO2 Inc: http://wso2.com
>> T: +94 11 214 5345 M: +94 77 374 2057
>> W: http://imesh.io
>> Lean . Enterprise . Middleware

> Lakmal Warusawithana
> Director - Cloud Architecture; WSO2 Inc.
> Mobile : +94714289692

Gayan Gunarathne