Github user eolivelli commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/580

    @anmolnar  this change is a backport from Facebook fork.

    in PR #582 I have started a brand new work, to design and implement a long
term ZK internal API to instrument server and client java code base.
    Users are requesting support for Prometheus for instance.
    The idea of PR #582 is to design how a "MetricsProvider" can interact with
ZK code.

    This great work from @jtuple and his collegues will be (quite) easily
refactored to the new system once we have merged Facebook contribs and merged
the new system.

    On the new Metrics API the most interesting key points are:
    - we are going to support several providers and/or let the users
contribute/use other own providers
    - we are not using 'static' variables, so you can have several ZooKeeper
clients (for instance a HBase client, a Curator based client...) inside the
same JVM

    I would like to move forward and send the next patches but we need to have
agreement on the high level decisions

    cc @hanm @phunt

---