On Tue, Dec 6, 2022 at 11:50 AM Enrico Olivelli <eolive...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Christopher,
>
> Il giorno dom 4 dic 2022 alle ore 19:34 Christopher
> <ctubb...@apache.org> ha scritto:
> >
> > It might be worth reconsidering the contributing "requirement" to make a
> > JIRA ticket. A lot of JIRA tickets don't have useful information in them
> > anyway... they are just being created because it's required, which is just
> > extra work without benefits. The PR usually has more relevant information
> > and can serve as its own ticket, in my opinion.
>
> I agree with you.
>
> Currently we require a JIRA  because we can easily create release notes.
> We could switch to GH issues, but that would require some help/work to
> prepare a new
> release procedure. (in my projects I am participating we switched to
> GH issues, and actually
> create release notes is quite a pain, even with some automation)

I think the "release notes" that are generated by JIRA are not very valuable.

At best, they are hardly better than the git history since the last
release (`git log release-3.7.0..release-3.7.1 --oneline`)
At worst, they are misleading because they are out of sync with the
work that was actually committed, because the fixVersion in JIRA isn't
always correct, or because the summary in JIRA doesn't reflect the
final work that was done in the repository after code reviews and
feedback.

For more useful release notes, I prefer a human-curated list of
important bits, with brief narratives explaining why users might care,
and refer to the git history for the comprehensive list. This is what
Apache Accumulo attempts to do (for example:
https://accumulo.apache.org/release/accumulo-2.1.0/)