Perhaps there is a way to avoid the 3000:8000 startup
vector.

If a CPU is added after a cold reset, it is already in a
different state because one of the active CPUs needs to
release it by interacting with the hot plug controller.

Can the SMRR for CPUs in that state be pre-programmed to
match the SMRR in the rest of the active CPUs?

For OVMF we expect all the active CPUs to use the same
SMRR value, so a check can be made to verify that all
the active CPUs have the same SMRR value.  If they do,
then any CPU released through the hot plug controller
can have its SMRR pre-programmed and the initial SMI
will start within TSEG.

We just need to decide what to do in the unexpected
case where all the active CPUs do not have the same
SMRR value.

This should also reduce the total number of steps.

Mike