On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 01:46:20PM -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2010, Till Maas wrote:

> > What kind of tests need to be done always manually? The only ones I can
> > think are tests for the appearance of applications or tests that require
> > specific hardware. But in the general case, I do not think that for
> > every package manual testing will always be required, except while
> > creating new automatic tests. E.g. if you have a library package with
> > good unit test and behaviour test coverage and tests for RPM
> > metadata, what do you want to test manually?
>
> I have a series of basic functionality tests that I run before each yum
> release to make sure that there is nothing unforeseen in an update.
>
> I don't think such a set of tests is ridiculous, but I do admit it is
> complicated.

I assume that you have a checklist of tests and run them manually. Is it
not possible to run the tests automatically because of there nature? Or
is it only because the framework is missing? The advantage of automated
tests would be, that together with rpm VCS support (scripts), you could
even run after each commit to even faster spot bugs:

1) commit upstream
2) build new rpm
3) apply AutoQA to the rpm

Regards