On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 11:15 AM, Stephen Gallagher <sgall...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 06/15/2016 01:09 PM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
>> On Wed, 2016-06-15 at 12:31 -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>>> Of course, this comes with its own headaches, since of course if you
>>> are using
>>> an encrypted drive, you need to enter your password twice: once to
>>> start the
>>> update and once for the post-update reboot. A while ago I was working
>>> on a patch
>>> to PackageKit that would skip the second reboot and just `systemd
>>> isolate
>>> default.target` after the upgrade unless the kernel (or other early
>>> boot package
>>> like dracut) was updated. I never finished it, but I could try to dig
>>> it out and
>>> pass it on to someone who is interested in continuing it.
>>
>> If anyone wants to pick up this work, that would be hugely appreciated,
>> as it would allow us to enable full disk encryption by default.
>>

> Well, as I alluded to in another post, I think the disk encryption case is
> probably better solved by investing in the development and stabilization of
> Tang[1]. Then you would not need to enter the password manually at all.
>
> [1] https://github.com/npmccallum/tang/blob/master/README.md

I see that it's solving a problem, but that problem isn't everyone's
problem, and the solution doesn't solve everyone's problem. It
requires a tang server, so how does this work for Workstation users?
Where is this server?

I go to a random coffee shop, I'm on a totally different network, or I
travel a lot and I'm on many different networks, how does this scale?

For a computer that needs to update an encrypted disk with the current
pk offline update mechanism means networking all has to be baked into
the initramfs and autoconfiguring in order for the disk to be
decrypted and updates applied.

I still think the update needs to happen on logout without first
rebooting, and only rebooting after the update is successfully
applied. If it were a scheduled/delayed update, then the default
behavior would be shutdown after the update is applied rather than
reboot.

Something like that.

--
Chris Murphy