On 09/14/2016 05:03 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

"RC" == Ralf Corsepius <rc040...@freenet.de> writes:
RC> - A package triggering too many BZs.
RC> IMO, this should question the package's quality.

A package with a million users is going to get more bugs than a package
with ten regardless of the package quality.  I have a feeling that a
rather large number of people use Gnome.

Most of them would be duplicates ( otherwise Gnome is in serious trouble maintenance wise )

When I was exclusively triaging reports against a single components systemd for couple of years the report classification was roughly one third real bugs, one third RFE's and one third misfiles. With my former QA hat on and thus involved in the triage process from it's inception as well as being the last person along with Mike Ruckman ( afaik no one else has done it since then) looking into if the triage process could be revived for what the fourth time I think I can say without a shadow of doubt that triaging will never work in the distribution due to wide variety of reasons which I will not go into details in this response. ( Triaging can be made to work to certain extent but not here in Fedora )

In the end of the day it's packager maintainer(s) responsibility to act as the liaison between upstream and downstream, triage, test and forward bugs upstream if they are not distribution specific and solve them downstream if they are.

If the package maintainer does not have the time to do that he or she needs to find more co-maintainers to distribute the load of him or herself or drop the maintenance of the package in the distribution altogether and hope that someone else that has the required time steps up to maintain it but that is unlikely if he or she could not find co-maintainer(s) to begin with in the distribution to distribute the load.

If the above as in package maintainer(s) for whatever reasons will not perform their due maintenance diligence then there is but two alternative and that's to drop the poorly maintained packaged ( since it's doing the distribution end user disservice ) or redirect reporters directly upstream but that has it's own set of pros and cons.

JBG