On 31/10/16 11:41, Richard Hughes wrote:
On 30 October 2016 at 01:26, Adam Williamson <adamw...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
1) Both dnf and GNOME Software / PackageKit default to performing
fairly data-hungry transactions in the background, out of the box,
without telling you about it. GNOME's is particularly bad, as it will
happily download available updates in the background, which can be
gigabytes worth of data.

If you're on an "unmetered" connection type...

The problem, as I believe has been repeatedly explained, is that you don't really have any idea whether the connection is metered. Yes you may be trying to guess by considering things like 3G connections as metered but that is an extremely poor proxy for whether a connection is metered.

It's not something that can be tied to connection types anyway. A wifi interface might be unmetered if I'm at home but metered if I'm in a cafe or hotel. An ethernet interface might be metered at certain times of day and not at others.

The idea that you can programatically determine, using a simple heuristic, if a connection will be metered is just nonsense.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (t...@compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/