On Thu, 2016-12-01 at 14:32 -0700, stan wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Dec 2016 11:32:33 -0800
> Howard Howell <hlhow...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>

> > Hi, everyone,
> >     I have been trying to upgrade my system from f24 to f25 using
> > the cli in the terminal.
> >
> >   814  dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=25
> >   815  dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=25 --allowerasing
> >   816  dnf system-upgrade download --releasever=25 --allowerasing
> > --
> > nogpgcheck
> >
> >   all run from superuser.
> >
> >   error:
> > Running transaction check
> > Transaction check succeeded.
> > Running transaction test
> > The downloaded packages were saved in cache until the next
> > successful
> > transaction.
> > You can remove cached packages by executing 'dnf clean packages'.
> > Error: Transaction check error:
> >   file /usr/bin from install of
> > google-earth-stable-6.0.3.2197-0.x86_64 conflicts with file from
> > package filesystem-3.2-37.fc24.x86_64 # dnf --system-upgrade reboot
> > will not run due to same error.
>
> This is a well known error in the spec file for the google earth
> file.
> It tries to own /usr/bin, which it can't own, and so fails.
>
> Here's a web reference to it.
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=302767
> and here
> https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/85979/transaction-check-err
> or-during-google-earth-install/
>
> A long time ago I installed google earth, and used a work around on
> the
> spec file.  I don't remember it now, but it worked with the rebuilt
> rpm
> file.
>
> The way to fix this so you can upgrade is by removing only google
> earth using rpm directly, instead of through dnf.
>
> rpm --erase --nodeps --test [google-earth-stable?]
>
> This will test the command without doing anything.  When it does what
> you want, remove the --test option.
>
> After the upgrade, you can look for ways to re-install google earth.
Thanks, Rich, Dominik, Adam, Josh and John.  It appears that both
versions are now gone.

It looks like probably Dominik's suggestion of the -e cleared the
program.  So somehow, rpm -e packagename seemed to be the magic bullet.
 I will start overwith the update to make sure all the packages
downloaded, and let you know if success happens.

Thank you all for your support.

Regards,
Les H