On 18 May 2017 at 11:03, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 1:31 AM, James Hogarth <james.hoga...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> On 17 May 2017 8:24 pm, "Tom Hughes" <t...@compton.nu> wrote:

>>> The subject of the thread here is "deprecated", which implies removing
>>> the package, not just reducing dependencies.
>>

>> Well normally deprecated refers to something which is left in place but
>> which people are advised to move away from which would imply not removing
>> it.
>>
>> I suspect it will be some time before all those packages are modified to not
>> rely on it so any talk of removing it seems premature.
>
> It's not just packages with explicitly published dependencies. It's a
> lot of configuration tools with implicit dependencies, whose authors
> didn't imagine at the time of authorship that basic utilities like
> "/sbin/ifconfig". These tools may be entirely local and outside of
> RPM's, or may never have bothered to declare what they thought was an
> implicit provision as part of running on an RPM based Linux. For
> example, I note on the older systems I have immediate access to that
> ifconfig is used in the python "virtinst" and "uuid" modules.

That's fine Nico, and I'll remind you I'm not in any way proposing
removal of net-tools from the repositories.

Also looking at older systems isn't relevant as this is just about
looking forward with Fedora.

Again do keep in mind that the default RHEL7 server install, a minimal
Fedora install and the upcoming Debian Stretch has no net-tools by
default.

But back to the focus of this, I've opened the FESCo ticket to get
direction and after that I'll get the tracking bug up.

Finally, again, this is not about removing net-tools entirely so let's
keep the discussion in the scope of the actual goal and target.