On Thu, 2017-07-06 at 10:05 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 05, 2017 at 02:33:01PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > With Pungi 4 we really can't do that any more. Composes have a much
> > more solid identity as an actual thing. 'A compose' has a compose ID,
> > production composes have a label, and these can't really be duplicated.
> > There is a bunch of metadata which is produced for the compose *as a
> > whole*; if we do a compose where we try 10 images and 1 fails, the
> > metadata for that compose will list 9 images. If we then ran another
> > compose just to produce that 1 missing image (with properties as
> > similar as possible to the original compose), the metadata for the new
>
> I understand the value of having something that is an authoritative
> source of truth about release artifacts. I'm not sure at all about the
> value of having The Compose like this. Especially since we already do
> things like assuming that tests which apply to RC 1.4 are probably good
> for 1.5 since we know none of the relevant packages have changed. I
> guess we could solve this with another layer of abstraction: a
> super-compose which could include artifacts from various composes or
> other compose-like sources.

Expect my resignation letter attached to a copy of the fedfind source,
with a note saying "I'm damned if I'm writing ANOTHER layer of this
crap". :P

> > script or something, both of which would be error-prone). It's also not
> > actually that easy just to respin a single image; Pungi 4 isn't really
> > built to do that (you'd have to create a new Pungi compose config file
> > each time you wanted to do it), and releng really doesn't want to do it
> > manually below the Pungi level any more in case of inconsistencies or
> > errors.
>
> Maybe that just means it needs to be easier to create and update pungi
> compose configs?

Pungi is inherently a complicated thing, because it's a tool for doing
a whole bunch of different tasks for two rather different
distributions. There's a limit to how much we can unilaterally mess
around with this stuff (because we're sharing a tool with RHEL, here)
and a limit to how much we can simplify it, I think.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey