On Tue, 2017-07-11 at 11:24 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 01:10:52PM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > > But we can't "just ignore the compose tools", because we want the
> > > metadata to actually be correct and consistent. If we dump an ISO into
> > > a compose link this, it won't be.
> >
> > Real users don't care about metadata that you upload to some obscure server
> > like pdc.fp.o that most users don't even know exists (this thread was the
> > first time that *I* heard of it, and I am in no way a new user ;-) ). Real
> > users care about what ends up on the mirrors. Dropping in the ISO into the
> > mirrored directory perfectly addresses the expectations of actual users.
>
> I get that having correct metadata is useful for a lot of programmatic
> things (like maybe finally making https://pagure.io/releng/issue/5805 a
> reality), but I agree about the results. Also, we shouldn't have this
> dictated to us by the design of the compose tools. We should look at
> what we want the user-facing results to be and work back from that.

We do: we want the user-facing results to be a consistent set of
deliverables, reliably built using the same process and thus to the
same specifications every time. Throwing together images by hand and
stuffing them into a directory together does not reliably achieve that,
which is why we made things like Pungi.

The best resolution to a situation like this is simply to fix the
problem that's causing images to fail to build in the first place.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey