Matthew Miller wrote:
> I strongly dispute the idea that Fedora must be tied to a particular
> packaging technology.

The particular packaging technology is what ensures that we have a coherent,
integrated system. Flatpaks by design cannot offer the kind of integration
that native packages can offer, neither in terms of using shared system
libraries (saving space), nor in terms of user experience (even with
"portals", there will always be kinds of interoperation that the sandbox
just cannot allow).

And if the users will get their packages in a generic format rather than a
native Fedora format, what advantage do they get from getting it from Fedora
to begin with? The point of delivering Fedora packages is to integrate them
into the distribution. Only native packages can provide that.

Fedora could deliver a similar experience using a different packaging
format, such as deb (but why would we throw away what we have with RPM
then?), but not with a container format such as Flatpak.

        Kevin Kofler