On 15 September 2017 at 11:00, James Hogarth <james.hoga...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 13 September 2017 at 01:39, James Hogarth <james.hoga...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On 12 Sep 2017 10:49 pm, "Laura Abbott" <labb...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 09/05/2017 09:41 AM, Laura Abbott wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Kernel 4.13 was released this past weekend. This kernel has been
>>> built for rawhide and is building for F27 as well. We will be
>>> following the same upgrade procedure as in the past. F25 and F26
>>> will get rebased to 4.13 after a few stable releases, typically
>>> 4.13.2 or 4.11.3 depending on how stable the kernel is. Upstream
>>> does not give release dates for stable release but given past
>>> timings, this will probably happen towards the end of September.
>>> As always, if you have any questions please let me know.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Laura
>>>

>> 4.13.1 is now in the kernel-stabilization COPR. 4.13.2 was released
>> this morning but given it was released in conjunction with a new
>> publicized CVE, it was slightly smaller and I'm inclined to wait
>> for 4.13.3 before attempting to push anything to bodhi for F26.
>>

>> Thanks for the update Laura
>>
>> I'll pop that on my system tomorrow for some early testing and when
>> you're ready with the bodhi update will add the feedback.
>>

> Hi,
>
> Installed and running well here:
>
> Intel® Core™ i5-6300HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz × 4 Intel® HD Graphics 530 (Skylake
> GT2) / Nvidia-bumblebee 384.69 on NV117
>
> WiFI working, bluetooth working, GPU works still.
>
> Ran through both the default and performance kernel regression tests[0] -
> both passed.
>
> https://apps.fedoraproject.org/kerneltest/kernel/4.13.1-200.fc26.x86_64
>
> Incidentally I enabled the bfq scheduler for my spinning rust large data
> drive and kyber for my SSD (since they have had some time to initially "bed
> in" in 4.12)  and the system feels noticeably more responsive than on cfq
> before ... though I wonder how much is a placebo effect ... might be fun to
> switch it up and do some bonnie and iozone testing at some point.
>
> Cheers,
>
> James
>

> [0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelTestingInitiative

Something happened in the 4.13.2 release which broke the nvidia driver.

A few symbols changed and there was something that flipped to a GPL
labelled symbol.

I know we don't directly provide that for various reasons, but there is the
initiative with Negativo etc that the Workstation Working Group has
highlighted several times.

See these posts:

http://mom.hlmjr.com/2017/09/09/driver-wars-nvidia-drivers-384-69-vs-kernel-4-13/

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1023822/linux/-patch-384-69-kernel-4-13-4-14-staging-/

It refers to 4.14-rc1 but I saw the identical issues on 4.13.2-200 with
this.

Is this something worth holding back on the kernel release on F26 for the
time being?