On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 09:22:08AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > repo is supported and it needs to not break. We've been super super lenient
> That's a completely untenable position.  There is only one kernel for
> all the Editions.  There will be times where the kernel needs to be
> updated to fix a CVE and it breaks the nVidia driver.  There is no way
> you can hold the entire distro hostage to an out-of-tree *proprietary*
> driver.

I thought the desktop team was working on a plan where if there is a
kernel update with no working Nvidia driver, the new kernel would be
installed but the default boot would stay the old one until the driver
update is available (overridable by the user at any time or on the
distro side if we flag a kernel update as important or critical for
security). I've got some misgivings about even that, but it sounds far
better than holding back the kernel overall.

Matthew Miller
Fedora Project Leader
devel mailing list -- devel@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe send an email to devel-le...@lists.fedoraproject.org

Reply via email to