On 12/02/2017 02:35 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
Vít Ondruch wrote:
This is big and old-school hammer. If you did "git cherry-pick" instead,
you could get most of the changes you did in master without the
branches. Also, merging means that you get into older (or EPEL) branches
stuff like changelogs from mass rebuild, which should not be there IMO.

Cherry-picking and diverging changelogs mean one keeps having to manually
fix conflicts. With the one specfile with conditionals, I only have to do a
fast-forward merge and build, which is a lot more convenient.

Until you get confused by conditionals' magic, bitten by unexpected behavior, bugs or compatibility problems in the different verions of rpm or rpm-macros.

That said, I prefer avoiding conditionals and prefer clean, "one-spec-per release" rpm.specs.

But keep in mind that I don't do EPEL, so my conditionals are few and far
between, and I will remove conditionals for EOL Fedora releases.

So do I. IMHO, mixing epel specs with fedoras specs is a lost battle. It's error-prone at best and hardly possible in "more than trivial" cases.

Ralf