On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 12:56:32PM +0100, Jan Kurik wrote:
> Proposed System Wide Change: Remove GCC from BuildRoot
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Remove_GCC_from_BuildRoot
>

> Owner(s):
>   * Igor Gnatenko <ignatenkobrain at fedoraproject dot org>
>

> Removing gcc and gcc-c++ from default buildroot in Koji and mock.
>

> == Detailed description ==
> Since beginning of Fedora, gcc (and gcc-c++) are installed in every
> buildroot. Times have changed and nowadays many of packages are not
> written in C/C++, they are written in Python, Ruby, Node.js, Go, Rust,
> OCaml, Perl and so on so they don't need to have C/C++ compiler.
> Installing gcc and gcc-c++ takes time so if we remove it, we can
> improve build times for many of the packages.
>

> == Scope ==
> * Proposal owners:
> Remove gcc, gcc-c++ from build group in Koji and from buildsys-build
> group in comps.
>
> * Other developers:
> Maintainers should follow guidelines and add BuildRequires: gcc if
> they need it during build (this guideline exists for long time).

I feel like this is something that many many many packages will not
have present. For a long time it was acceptable to omit BuildRequires
for stuff that was in the default build root, and while the C/C++
packaging guidelines do say you need BR: gcc, I expect most packagers
have never noticed this changed.

IOW, if we remove gcc/gcc-c++ from the build root, *before* fixing
up packages we're going to create a huge pile of rebuild failures.

Can we please do something here to identify which packages likely have
missing BR: gcc and automatically fix up the specs, rather than creating
100's of failing packages and then waiting weeks in a broken state for
maintainers to fix them up.

Regards,
Daniel