On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 05:01:33PM +0100, Vít Ondruch wrote:

> Dne 16.2.2018 v 16:33 Daniel P. Berrangé napsal(a):

> >> Or may be this one?
> >>

> >> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/EMWYUIZL4QQBAPKEVRNYOFKUPWSW3F7G/
> >>

> >> Just for the fun, I run the same queries for Rawhide:
> >>
> >> $ dnf repoquery --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=rawhide-source --arch src
> >> '*' | wc -l
> >> 20946
> >>
> >> $ dnf repoquery --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=rawhide --source
> >> --whatrequires 'libc.so.6*' | sort -u | sed -r 's/(.*)-.*-.*/\1/' | uniq
> >> 8559
> >>

> >> 40,86 % of packages is in C/C++. It looks the trend continues ...
> > Don't suppose you have any easy way to query how many .spec files
> > in master, have a "BuildRequires: gcc". Would be interesting to get
> > a guide as to how many of those 8559 are likely to break from this
> > proposed change...
>
> $ curl -OL http://src.fedoraproject.org/repo/rpm-specs-latest.tar.xz
> $ tar xfv rpm-specs-latest.tar.xz
> $ cd rpm-specs/
> $ grep -R -e 'BuildRequires.*gcc' | wc -l
> 1912

So in the worst case scenario, dropping gcc will potentailly break
6500 RPMs. Though many RPMs come from the same spec file, that still
leaves potentially 1000's of spec files needing editting. Requiring
manual packager work for this is crazy - it is crying out to be
automated. Even if the automation is pessimistic and adds BR: gcc
where isn't really needed in some cases, that's still likely to be
a net win.

Regards,
Daniel