On 4.5.2018 10:38, Petr Pisar wrote:> How does prioritized ~/.local match removing #!/usr/bin/env from
Fedora packages? It smells pretty inconsistently.

When running RPM installed tools we want them to run on RPM installed interpreters. When you run stuff from /usr/bin that was installed by dnf/rpm from Fedora repos, we want to make sure it runs on /usr/bin/python3 or /usr/bin/perl, also installed by dnf/rpm from Fedora repos.

When you install stuff you installed as an user via pip or cpan or whatnot, we try to make sure you can run it easily.

This is completely orthogonal.

Also note that without changing /usr/bin/env shebang to "hardcoded" shebangs, prioritized ~/.local in PATH would actually be dangerous, because a rpm/dnf installed file with this shebang:

#!/usr/bin/env perl

Would prioritize ~/.local/bin/perl over /usr/bin/perl.

While with the harcoded shebang (no env), the prioritized ~/.local in PATH does not affect this at all. It all works - dnf installed stuff is using dnf installed stuff.

So honestly, this smells pretty consistently.

--
Miro Hrončok