Hi,

On Wednesday, 2018-05-02 15:23:10 +0200, Tomas Orsava wrote:

> Does anyone see a reason not to prioritize ~/.local/bin over /usr/bin?

Many have argued one way or another.

Here is what I do, sourcing in a .zshrc (or whatever-shell-rc), which
gives me selective control to override certain commands by placing an
identical named script or symlink in $HOME/mytopbin/ and all other
whatever-named scripts go into $HOME/bin/ and any executable in
~/.local/bin does not accidentally get in the way. If need be I can
symlink ~/.local/bin/foo to ~/mytopbin/foo or have a script that
temporarily changes order.

A further advantage is, that the hand full of overrides don't get out of
sight and once a newer or to be used version is installed via RPM can
easily be removed. Or symlinks be changed pointing to other locations.
Similar to the alternatives mechanism.

I prefer a situation where ~/.local/bin *not* being prioritized yields
problems which I could temporarily or permanently solve as I like, than
the other way 'round that a prioritized ~/.local/bin suddenly makes
things wreak havoc and I wouldn't know why.

This ensures that the paths actually are placed where I desire and don't
end up as arbitrary duplicates:

# Prepend to PATH.
if [ -d "$HOME/mytopbin" ]; then
    xPF="$HOME/mytopbin"
    PATH="${PATH//:$xPF:/:}"
    PATH="${PATH/%:$xPF/}"
    PATH="${PATH/#$xPF:/}"
    PATH="$xPF:$PATH"
fi
# Append to PATH.
if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ]; then
    xPF="$HOME/bin"
    PATH="${PATH//:$xPF:/:}"
    PATH="${PATH/%:$xPF/}"
    PATH="${PATH/#$xPF:/}"
    PATH="$PATH:$xPF"
fi
if [ -d "$HOME/.local/bin" ]; then
    xPF="$HOME/.local/bin"
    PATH="${PATH//:$xPF:/:}"
    PATH="${PATH/%:$xPF/}"
    PATH="${PATH/#$xPF:/}"
    PATH="$PATH:$xPF"
fi

Maybe helps.

  Eike

GPG key 0x6A6CD5B765632D3A - 2265 D7F3 A7B0 95CC 3918  630B 6A6C D5B7 6563 2D3A
Care about Free Software, support the FSFE https://fsfe.org/support/?erack