On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 8:13 AM, Ken Coar <kc...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 05/31/2018 06:06 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
>>>
>>> Plus, there's an upside: if you're hammering F11 or F8 or F12 or Esc or
>>> whatever to try and get into the BIOS, and you miss it, then at least
>>> you stop in grub instead of going straight into the OS.
>>
>> Ick.
>
> Why 'ick'?

Because it's clumsy. You aren't getting exactly what you want or
expect. And you have just as much of a chance of wanting GRUB but
getting the firmware.

Anyway, at the moment I still see this feature as rearranging the deck
chairs. It exchanges problems we know, for problems we don't know.
It's one kind of clunkiness for a new kind of clunkiness with added
complexity.

>  If you're playing Rachmaninoff on the keyboard
> during the boot sequence, I think it's a pretty clear indicator
> that you want to interrupt it somehow.  (Unless you're a cat.)
> So I'd count any sort of interruption as a win, rather than
> proceeding to a full boot.

You're only indicating what you don't want to happen. You're not
indicating what you do want to happen: firmware setup? firmware boot
manager? firmware update? GRUB menu?

The idea the user getting a musical chairs result is better than
booting is not something I'm going to agree with.

--
Chris Murphy