Dne 24.9.2018 v 19:32 Adam Williamson napsal(a):
> On Mon, 2018-09-24 at 12:21 +0200, Vít Ondruch wrote:
>> Just FTR, some while ago, I proposed to drop comps entirely:
>>
>> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/ISCIB67JKW7WBC74KA4DSCAP6AZOUY5G/
> That...doesn't seem like a very serious proposal at all, given that you
> didn't suggest *in any way* how we would replace the critical functions
> it's currently performing. Are you suggesting metapackages?

Well I proposed "drop comps entirely (or at least trim them down
significantly)". At least the second part is in line with your request I
believe.

And I am not speaking necessarily about "metapackages". But we should
really start using Recommends more and especially Suggest is unused at
all. E.g. in comps, there is "Ruby on Rails" group installing bunch of
packages. There is no reason to not have these dependencies specified in
rubygem-rails (which already exists and has its purpose no matter if
there are comps or not) via Suggests for example. The only issue AFAIK
is there is no real support for Suggests in DNF :/

Or conditional dependencies, e.g. fedora-release could have something
like "Recommends: gnome-shell" and "Recommends: (gnome-* if
gnome-shell)". Again, we have already fedora-release package (is it
metapackage or not?), there is nothing new here. Frankly, I would expect
such dependencies to be there already, but there was no push to do that,
"because we have comps which do the job just fine".

Or we could use Enhances for specifying that some application should be
part of default Gnome experience.

But there could be also metapackages such as "default-gnome-desktop"
which would suggest all the components for default Gnome experience.

There is plenty of options we could use instead of comps.

Vít