On Sat, 2018-09-22 at 10:26 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> ...snip...
> > The old gnome-packagekit, IIRC, also parsed groups and showed you all
> > this stuff.
> >
> > But...we don't do that any more. anaconda does not expose 'optional'
> > packages in any way any more (you can only pick environment groups and
> > their supplementary package groups in anaconda, now). GNOME Software
> > doesn't either.
>
> There's one other place they are used (although perhaps not much):
> dnf group install --with-optional groupname
> will install the group and all the optional stuff.
>
> I have no idea if many people use that...

I am betting it's just about zero, because it seems really unlikely
that anyone wants *all* of the optional packages in a group. That's
kinda why they were made optional in the first place, presumably. So I
didn't mention this, though you're right that it technically exists.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey