Hi Máirín,

For several years now I've been using VMs with backing files to do
what you're trying to achieve. It's basically what Dusty Mabe
describes in the last paragraph of this article:
https://dustymabe.com/2015/01/11/qemu-img-backing-files-a-poor-mans-snapshotrollback/

Using virt-manager, I set up my base VM exactly the way I want it.
Next, I use qemu-img to create as many additional VMs as I need for
each project. The disk space they consume is just their delta from the
base image. The new files can then be imported into virt-manager and
used as regular images, as long as the base image remains unchanged.
Use of the terminal is only required when making the snapshots:
qemu-img create -f qcow2 -o backing_file=base_env.img test01.img

It's not as involved or elegant as using vagrant and ansible, but it's
simple and if you are already familiar with virt-manager, you do not
need to get acquainted with anything else.

Best regards,
Alex