On Wednesday, 17 October 2018 at 21:15, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 1:55 PM John Florian <jflor...@doubledog.org> wrote:
> >
> > How does Discourse handle posts you've already read in a thread that's
> > still active.  With things like reddit or LWN, you get to read it over and
> > over and over again if you really want to see whats new now.
>
> Discourse handles this quite well actually, as long as you're logged
> in. It will keep track of the last post you've seen as well as show
> you counts of new messages in a particular thread. I wouldn't claim
> that it's as good as an email client but it's much better than other
> forums and comment sites.

How does it "know" I read a particular message over e-mail when I access
it again over the web interface? I think I can answer that without
checking: it doesn't, so you are forced to re-read or at least click
through the messages you read already in your e-mail client.

If it had a login-only NNTP interface then it would be possible to sync
"read" messages status between web and NNTP. And that would actually be
pretty cool.

Regards,
Dominik
--