Looking at this further, this URL scheme is just terrible and will be
"fun" to make use of.

Basically you have to keep in mind that a tool like spectool can't trust
the filename that is sent by the remote web server and will instead use
only the filename extracted from the URL.

That means if you use something like this:

Source0: https://cran.r-project.org/package=%{packname}&version=%{version}

you'll get a filename like

package=webp&version=0.4

(for a random package, R-webp, that I grabbed).

And that's not a useful filename; rpm won't unpack it.

What you have to do is the somewhat painful:

Source0:
https://cran.r-project.org/package=%{packname}&version=%{version}#/%{packname}_%{version}.tar.gz

Now, since we're going to hide this behind a macro, it's not the worst
thing in the world.  But it leaves questions:

* Is this guaranteed to continue to work in future?  I don't think that
  the remote host gets the URL fragment identifier at all so I think it
  should be OK, but I haven't really tested that.

* Since we need to know the extension, can we expect tar.gz or are there
  packages with other archive formats?

So, I think we can deal but I don't think CRAN considered this point at
all and that's unfortunate.

 - J<