On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 at 07:48, Florian Weimer <fwei...@redhat.com> wrote:

> * Matthew Miller:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 10:30:06PM +0000, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> >> I love Fedora, but the idea that you can take a 3 year old Fedora and
> >> put it out on the web is just bonkers. We don't have the manpower and
> >> the procedures to make Fedora suitable for this kind of use.
> >
> > Wellllllll, from my statistics, there's a lot of 3-year-old (and older!)
> > Fedora out on the web today. But that aside, let's say we wanted to do it
> > right *and* still keep the distro exciting and fun to hack on.
> >
> > What person-power and procedures would we need to add?
>
> Make it cheap to maintain branches.  I expect that one what to achieve
> this would be to build directly out of Git, with synthesized release
> numbers and changelogs.  This way, you can apply a lot of fixes to
> multiple branches without encountering mandatory conflicts.
>
> There is no technical reason why the payload in an SRPMs cannot contain
> the full exploded upstream source tree, with an RPM spec file in the
> root.

What do  you mean that the fully exploded upstream source tree? Is it
the entire 'git' repository with all branches in it or just a tar ball
of a particular branch?

[The git repository can grow to hundreds of gigabytes which would make
every update a huge SRPM file for a small change.]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.