On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 11:03 PM Ty Young <youngty1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >>

> >> https://imgur.com/a/Dajf28T
> >>

> > I'm sorry that dnfdragora isn't quite working properly on your system.
> > As one of the developers of dnfdragora and dnfdaemon, I'm aware of
> > some of those quirks, and myself and the other developer have been
> > trying to work on fixing these problems. It's difficult though, as
> > both of us are working on it in our spare time. We're committed to
> > improving it, but I have to find time for it, among everything else.
> >
> > If you'd like to help, we'd appreciate it. The project is here:
> > https://github.com/manatools/dnfdragora
>

> It's fine, I completely understand. I just happened to pick the Cinnamon
> spin since I knew it and MATE used LightDM and I don't use Fedora so I
> don't know if I can be of any help.
>

> >> Also, Spanish(?) confirm prompt when rest of GUI is English:
> >>

> >> https://imgur.com/a/7ashccO
> >>

> >> ...and proof X.Org on Cinnamon is running as root:
> >>

> >> https://imgur.com/a/UcLjjKT
> >>

> >> Yet on Gnome Fedora it isn't:
> >>

> >> https://imgur.com/a/DlXwcdK
> >>

> >> So is Fedora going to admit it's a bug in Gnome Fedora or are we going
> >> to keep being salty that Nvidia doesn't support or have an Open Source
> >> driver by pointing the finger at them? Actually fixing the bug would be
> >> the more productive option here.
> >>
> > Well, the rootless X thing is from gnome-session down, so that's a
> > GNOME thing. I'm aware that not all DEs do this, the work was
> > primarily done in GNOME.
> >
> > How would you propose we fix this bug, as you call it?
>

> Well, what exactly was the old behavior before? I know for a fact X. Org
> was running as root during the beta. Is X. Org as root during beta
> periods only the norm?
>

> Neither of the two other major distro families, Arch Linux and Ubuntu
> with Gnome, have X. Org as root disabled, at least not when running the
> Nvidia binary. Are there any malicious software that even exists that
> exploit X. Org being ran as root? If no one else sees that as an issue
> then why does Fedora? And is disabling root X. Org worth breaking
> people's software that would otherwise work?
>

> Clearly few DM(s) other than Gnome supports it despite earlier claims,
> so it isn't even standard behavior. Fedora supports multiple spins
> including DM(s) that don't support it, so you're just fragmenting your
> own ecosystem if it is enabled on Gnome Fedora only. That's not a great
> idea.
>

> So, IMO, the correct behavior here would be to disable until at least
> other DM(s) support it and other distros enabled it by default so that
> Fedora is at least following standards. Once it *actually* gets adopted
> *maybe* Nvidia will allow overclocking on non root X. Org but that could
> just be wishful thinking. At minimum there should always be an option to
> disable security features, especially if it results in performance
> loss(e.g. Specter) or, in this case, application compatibility problems
> easily... and editing a config file isn't that easy, obvious, or in some

The problem with that is that if we did it that way, nobody would
adapt to the change. Much in the same manner that we're moving to
cgroups v2 in Fedora 31, if we didn't do it, we can't suss out
breakages and fix them (if possible). And if third parties that don't
keep up with these changes (especially one that happened in 2013 for
Fedora GNOME!), there's not much that can be done.

> Maybe provide an optional rootless login session option in Gnome's login
> screen?

Again, it doesn't force things to change in the ecosystem, and worse,
it makes it more difficult for QA and release verification, as we add
another codepath to everything by doing this.

> FWIW, even if the application uses Flatpak, rootless X. Org still breaks
> the application. Would it be possible to grant individual applications
> privileged root access on a case by case basis?

That's a Flatpak/Flathub thing, not really under our control unfortunately.

> >> Also while I'm at it, why does Gnome Screenshot in Fedora have a menu to
> >> the left of the cancel button but Arch doesn't? Bit odd.
> >>
> > Maybe different versions of the software positioned it differently?
> >

> Ah, no. The menu I'm talking looks like the application icon itself.
> I've only seen it manifest itself in Arch Linux when you install another
> DE. No other Gnome applications in Fedora that I could see has it, and
> it does stick out... maybe it's a CSD compatibility thing for Cinnomon
> and/or Mate?

Ah, that's very possible. GTK+ has odd behaviors depending on desktop
environment.