On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 9:50 am, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanz...@gnome.org> wrote:
You're wasting your time. We're not going to run the X server as root just so you can overclock your GPU. Not a chance.

Anyway, while we won't do that Fedora... since you're clearly interested in customizing your system, you can do so for yourself. What you want to do is build gdm using the configure flag --disable-user-display-server. You can host your special gdm in a copr if you want to make it easier for other Nvidia overclockers to use it.

See https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/XorgWithoutRootRights for why this was changed (over five years ago!). The changes were made upstream, so there is nothing Fedora-specific here. If you use GNOME on most other distros, you should see the same behavior. The only distro I know of that uses --disable-user-display-server is Endless.

Michael