On pe, 18 loka 2019, Martin Kolman wrote:
On Fri, 2019-10-18 at 11:39 +0300, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
On to, 17 loka 2019, Orion Poplawski wrote:
> > > You could install the ipa-client package and enroll a system into IPA
from a
> > > kickstart in RHEL 7 too.. Without modules. That's what I've deployed for
the
> > > environments I support, for example. Using a module is not required there.
> >
> > That wasn't the point, though - the point was the answer the question
> > "why do we need *default* module streams?"
> >
> > The logic is this: FreeIPA maintainers wanted FreeIPA to be a module in
> > RHEL, to take advantage of the added flexibility around lifecycles and
> > version bumps (basically so each RHEL release isn't tied to one version
> > of FreeIPA forever). But if it's modularized and there's no concept of
> > 'default stream modules', this is a thing that breaks: you can't
> > install it from a kickstart. So, *given that* we wanted to modularize
> > FreeIPA in RHEL *and* we also want to still make it deployable via
> > kickstart, that creates a requirement for default stream modules or
> > something a lot like it.
>
> This doesn't seem quite true.  You couldn't install it with the same kickstart
> you used for EL7, but you could use the new module command or syntax in
kickstart:

> module --name=NAME [--stream=STREAM]
Actually, you could install client packages with the same kickstart file
as for RHEL 7, that was one of uses for default profiles.

Server package installation from kickstart file is less of a worry
because we are running a different deployment process since switching to
domain level 1 and that implies you have to do client installation
first.

And at the time when all this was designed, kickstart had no support for
modularized installation. It has it now, of course.
Well, module installation vias kickstart has been supported since before 8.0 GA.
But I guess the design decisions have taken place before that.

Yes, well before that. In any case, one of bigger requirements we had
was to keep support for existing kickstart files that install RHEL IdM.
Changing them for using modular content for most common use case
(installation of IdM client) was seen as a compatibility break.

So yes, RHEL 8.x has support for enabling modules in the kickstart files
but it was not possible to preserve existing kickstart files that used
ipa-client package without enabling default module stream after RHEL IdM
was moved to module.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy
Sr. Principal Software Engineer