On 07/03/2020 10:32, Julian Sikorski wrote:
> W dniu 06.03.2020 o 19:21, Daniel Pocock pisze:
>>

>> On 05/03/2020 21:26, Julian Sikorski wrote:
>>
>>> I would like to take this opportunity to remind about the PR that I have
>>> prepared - let us not duplicate the work:
>>> https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/asio/pull-request/1
>>> I have rebuilt all asio's dependencies and only encountered issues with
>>> abiword and OpenSceneGraph - both were complaining about error not being
>>> a member of asio::placeholders. Same issues were found by gentoo, I have
>>> linked the relevant bug reports in the PR. Is this something you would
>>> be able to advise about? I am happy to share full build logs if needed.
>>
>> I haven't personally looked at asio 1.14.0 yet so I don't have the
>> solution off the top of my head.  These are the type of issues I
>> normally deal with in upstream development.
>>
>>  From a strategic perspective, I feel it is most efficient to try and
>> coordinate with the upstreams and other distributions so that everybody
>> is supporting the same asio in each of the major distributions.
>>
>> In any C++ library, there are small API changes from time to time
>> leading to the type of problem you describe.
>> > If upstreams are using travis-ci, we are testing against version 1.12.2
>> from Debian/Ubuntu and may not be aware of issues in asio 1.14.0.  Even
>> if you patch for the issue, it may be completely untested upstream.
>> That is why it is so vital to resolve the Debian/Ubuntu lag.
>>
> I do not know what Debian's issues regarding update to 1.14.0 were, but
> from what you are saying it appears someone at Debian lost their cool.

Did you know the Debian Project Leader sent an abusive email shortly
after my father died?  Did you know that this wasn't the first time that
I saw abusive communications from somebody in Debian leadership at an
acute time of personal tragedy?

Just imagine if a Fedora volunteer's family member dies and a Red Hat
manager creeps up on them at the funeral and tasers the volunteer while
other Red Hat staff record the reaction on a smartphone video and post
it online.

How long would the repercussions continue after such an abuse?

Would it be right to keep hosting the video indefinitely on Fedora
platforms?

If that volunteer feels their family's privacy is being violated as long
as it is perpetuated, would you have no empathy for them?

When I saw the UN's recent report[1] on Cybertorture, Debian was the
first thing on my mind.  Humiliating and shaming people, Debian's go-to
solutions, are high on their list of abuses.

> In any case, Fedora is a more bleeding edge distro than Debian/Ubuntu
> (First one of the foundations), so I am not sure how realistic it is to
> be waiting for Debian/Ubuntu to include something before we can do it in
> Fedora.

Debian unstable/sid is similarly bleeding edge to rawhide

Having the same dependencies in Debian sid and Fedora rawhide makes life
easier for everybody: library maintainers, upstreams and package
maintainers.

I've always tried to work that way, that is the very reason I
volunteered to maintain asio in both Debian and Fedora.  I also put the
necessary effort into supporting Debian backports and Fedora EPEL so
these things could be widely available.

> I was able to fix abiword completely by adding -DASIO_ENABLE_BOOST to
> CXXFLAGS, OSG still fails further down the line due to get_io_service()
> having been removed. I have filed upstream issues for both projects,
> details in the PR.

Thanks for your attention to detail with that

>> Is there a convenient way for upstreams to make CI builds on the latest
>> Fedora rawhide in parallel with our travis-ci Ubuntu builds?
>>
> I am not aware of a ci service using Fedora, both appveyor and travis
> appear to be using ubuntu.

I have some ideas about how to address this

There is a similar script to use Docker inside travis-ci, using Docker
for a pure Debian sid build, rather than the default Ubuntu environment:

https://travis.debian.net/

Could a Fedora equivalent exist?

Maybe OBS could also be relevant:
https://openbuildservice.org/