On Saturday, July 4, 2020 6:44:55 AM MST Solomon Peachy wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 04, 2020 at 01:24:46PM -0000, ziba  wrote:
> > Fedora should absolutely CONTINUE supporting  BIOS boot (sometimes wrongly
> > labeled "legacy BIOS").
>
> Yep, Fedora should continue supporting BIOS boot at least for the next
> few years.  This question will surely be revisited after the remaining
> x86 CPU makers join Intel in formally droping BIOS support (and quite
> possibly the 16-bit CPU modes needed to boot via BIOS!)
>
> And yes, "legacy BIOS" is an accurate term.  It is an obelete, long
> deprecated, and soon-to-be-retired system with insurmountable technical
> limitations including a hard 2TB upper limit on drive sizes that we've
> been running into for more than a decade.

There are still new systems built today that only support BIOS, and vendors
providing systems factory-configured for BIOS boot on hardware that does
support UEFI. There is no 2TB upper limit on drive sizes as a result of
booting from BIOS.

> (2TB SATA drives have been available since at least mid-2009.
>  Meanwhile, folks with hardware RAID controllers have been running into
>  this problem even longer)

I don't know where you got this, but that's completely false. You can use GPT
partition tables on systems with BIOS boot. Whoever told you otherwise is
misinformed at best.

> > BIOS will be cherished for decades to come!
>
> s/cherished/despised/

Why do you "despise" BIOS boot?

> Fortunately, decades from now, BIOS systems will only exist in museums
> and emulators.

I highly doubt that, but time will tell.

> > Fedora does not want to lose out in the huge BIOS based market.
>
> BIOS-based systems make up a miniscule minority of the current market.
> Pretending otherwise is delusional, and delusions are no basis for
> technical decisions.

That's absolutely false, as demonstrated elsewhere in this thread. Pretending
otherwise is delusional, and delusions are no basis for technical decisions.

--
John M. Harris, Jr.