On Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 11:31:20AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 08, 2020 at 03:48:23PM +0200, Till Maas wrote:
> > Just had another idea, how about instead of branch down from the rawhide
> > branch to new branched to make Rawhide always use the fxy version that
> > it develops. So instead of creating branched f33 later we would rename
> > master to f33 now and then once we need to branch we branch of Rawhide
> > as f34? There could still be a symbolic ref called rawhide for the
> > latest rawhide for convenience. What do you think?
>
> I do like this, because it reflects the actual process. However, it does ask
> something of our git forge web front end: what would it show by default?

I don't see much benefit from this. First, I disagree that it reflects
the process better. In almost all cases I know development is done in
the master branch, and changes from there are often either
fast-forwarded or cherry-picked into the other branches. Second, I
don't see what improvement this would bring. If we were to change the
branching pattern, that we have been successfully using for years and
that people are accustomed to, there should be some clear reason.

A change of the branching pattern is not helpful to this change,
because we would still need *some* constant name for the
master/rawhide/latest branch, so the new renamed name will still be
visible to users and used for various purposes.

And mixing the two makes the (already complicated) process of renaming more
likely to fail.

Zbyszek