> (Yes, that means applications need to start being concious of what fs
> they are being run on, or at least the fedora configuration needs to do
> that check for them)

Right, and it's concerning to me that Fedora is committing to btrfs by default
before important applications have become more enlightened about running on
btrfs. If upstream changes don't land in time for Fedora 33, we will be
implicitly expecting users to be aware of these pitfalls and leave them to
implement manual workarounds. I'd imagine a good bit of thought and work will
have to go into creating, testing, and upstreaming those patches, so I think
it's very possible that an appreciable number of changes will not land in time
for Fedora 33.

For example with virtualization I'd think that the changes would need to happen
around the level of libvirt, and not to specific a front-end like GNOME boxes
or virt-manager. It's also probably not sufficient to just set nodatacow on the
default VM image directory as users may use a non-default directory for qcow2
images. Hence I don't think these issues will always have trivial solutions.