On Sun, Jul 12, 2020 at 1:31 PM Tom Seewald <tseew...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > (Yes, that means applications need to start being concious of what fs
> > they are being run on, or at least the fedora configuration needs to do
> > that check for them)
>
> Right, and it's concerning to me that Fedora is committing to btrfs by
> default before important applications have become more enlightened about
> running on btrfs. If upstream changes don't land in time for Fedora 33, we
> will be implicitly expecting users to be aware of these pitfalls and leave
> them to implement manual workarounds. I'd imagine a good bit of thought and
> work will have to go into creating, testing, and upstreaming those patches,
> so I think it's very possible that an appreciable number of changes will not
> land in time for Fedora 33.

What changes?

> For example with virtualization I'd think that the changes would need to
> happen around the level of libvirt, and not to specific a front-end like
> GNOME boxes or virt-manager. It's also probably not sufficient to just set
> nodatacow on the default VM image directory as users may use a non-default
> directory for qcow2 images. Hence I don't think these issues will always have
> trivial solutions.

Discussion is happening upstream to determine the best location for
such optimization to happen. And there are fallback positions that are
well understood. qemu-img can already create nodatacow qcow2 files,
since a long time, that is one possible option. Another is setting
'chattr +C' as a post-install script in the installer at install time.
For databases whether there's benefit is more variable, and it's not
certain if it always needs to be set, and if so where - but there is a
fallback here too which is having the RPM set it at install time.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/libvir-list/2020-July/msg00450.html

(open)SUSE has been doing this for six years, I don't think it's
correct to suggest these complexities aren't well understood, or that
it's possible they won't happen for Fedora 33.

--
Chris Murphy