> On Di, 29.09.20 13:47, Björn Persson (Bjorn@rombobjörn.se) wrote:

>>> You never take your laptop outside to a cafe or so? You never
>>> connected it to something that is not your home or office network?
>>
>> A cafe is company-scope? I'm not sure whether that counts as moving the
>> goalposts or changing the subject, but neither is a constructive way to
>> discuss a technical topic.
>
> I am just saying: Fedora cannot be focussed on just working for people
> who have a competent company admin and use their laptops in
> company networks only. We must have something that works well in
> company networks, as in home networks as in cafe wifis and suchlike.
>
> Client-side DNSSEC only works in a subset of the "competent network
> admin" scenario, but not in the cafe wifi scenario or the home lan
> scenario.
Can you prove this claim somehow?

Is there list of cafe wifi scenarios and home lan scenarios, you are
referring to? With explanation how resolved fixes them if possible?

Anyway, we might forgive working dnssec validation. What we cannot
forgive is lack of DNSSEC information passtrough in 2020. For me, this
would be blocker to Fedora release. Default installation cannot be
supressing DNSSEC usability. It might not enforce it, but not disallow it.

If you want home lan to work, just accept local answers without
signature, which then prove non-existing under DNSSEC. But do not allow
changed addresses, other than localhost (for blocklist inclusion).

I am dnsmasq maintainer, which is found in most of cheap boxes you were
referring to. It can proxy DNSSEC, unlike resolved with turned off
support. Quite similar to resolved, it is not full-fledged DNS server,
it just forwards (and optionally caches) queries forward. It fixed
DNSSEC support some year back. Is your favourite café network broken so
much?

> Lennart
>
> --
> Lennart Poettering, Berlin